• Hamigeran resurfaces!: Progress towards the total synthesis of hamigerans C and D: a direct approach to an elaborated 6-7-5 carbocyclic core in J. Antibiot. Find it on our publications page.
• Beau and Etienne round out the summer with a nice synthesis: Enantioselective Catalysis Coupled with Stereodivergent Cyclization Strategies Enables Rapid Syntheses of (+)-Limaspermidine and (+)-Kopsihainanine A in ACIE. Find it on our publications page.
• Samantha and Caleb yet again: Enantioselective Synthesis of Acyclic α-Quaternary Carboxylic Acid Derivatives via Iridium-Catalyzed Allylic Alkylation in ACIE. Find it on our publications page.
• Steven teams up with the Arnold lab to tackle Nigelladine: Enantioselective Total Synthesis of Nigelladine A via Late-Stage C–H Oxidation Enabled by an Engineered P450 Enzyme in JACS. Find it on our publications page.
• Jared's quaternary swan song: Enantioselective Construction of Acyclic Quaternary Carbon Stereocenters: Palladium-Catalyzed Decarboxylative Allylic Alkylation of Fully Substituted Amide Enolates in J. Am. Chem. Soc. Find it on our publications page.
• Samantha and Caleb strike again: Asymmetric Synthesis of All-Carbon Quaternary Spirocycles via a Catalytic Enantioselective Allylic Alkylation Strategy in Tetrahedron Lett. Find it on our publications page.
• A chemical review: Polycyclic Furanobutenolide-Derived Cembranoid and Norcembranoid Natural Products: Biosynthetic Connections and Synthetic Efforts in Chem. Rev. Find it on our publications page.
• Multi-institutional collaboration at its finest: Ionic and Neutral Mechanisms for C–H Bond Silylation of Aromatic Heterocycles Catalyzed by Potassium tert-Butoxide and Potassium tert-Butoxide-Catalyzed Dehydrogenative C–H Silylation of Heteroaromatics: A Combined Experimental and Computational Mechanistic Study in J. Am. Chem. Soc. Find these two papers on our publications page.
• Samantha and Caleb strike again: Enantioselective Iridium-Catalyzed Allylic Alkylation Reactions of Masked Acyl Cyanide Equivalents in Org. Lett. Find it on our publications page.
Departures and Arrivals
Farewell to visiting scholars Emil Glibstrup and Marcos Wollenburg, who return to Europe to continue their graduate studies. Welcome to Martin Daiger, who joins us from Prof. Dirk Trauner's group!
• Congratulations to now Doctor Nick O'Connor, who closes out the lovely entering class of 2011. Nick will postdoc with Prof. Richmond Sarpong at Berkeley. Fun fact: Richmond and Nick both did their undergrad at Macalester College, doing research with Prof. Becky Hoye!
• Goniomitine galore: "A Fischer Indolization Strategy toward the Total Synthesis of (–)-Goniomitine" in Heterocycles. Find it on our publications page.
• A blast from the past: "Oxidative Fragmentations and Skeletal Rearrangements of Oxindole Derivatives" in Org. Lett. Find it on our publications page.
• Eric Welin's timely review: "Advances in Stereoconvergent Catalysis from 2005 to 2015: Transition-Metal-Mediated Stereoablative Reactions, Dynamic Kinetic Resolutions, and Dynamic Kinetic Asymmetric Transformations" in Chem. Rev. Find it on our publications page.
• Merry Christmas, David's first graduate publication in collaboration with the Grubbs group: "Alkali metal hydroxide–catalyzed C(sp)–H bond silylation" in J. Am. Chem. Soc. Find it on our publications page.
Two new graduates
• A warm congratulations to our newly minted PhDs, Dr. Doug Duquette and Dr. Kelly Kim! Doug will begin teaching at Occidental College and Kelly will go on to postdoc with Professor Karen Goldberg at the University of Washington.
• Check out Brian's new publication: "Single-step synthesis of 3-hydroxycarbazoles by annulation of electron-rich anilines and quinones" in Tetrahedron Lett. Find it on our publications page.
• Two is better than one, with Sam and Caleb: "Iridium-Catalyzed Stereoselective Allylic Alkylation Reactions with Crotyl Chloride" in Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Find it on our publications page.
• Wrapping up her PhD in elegant fashion, Kelly presents: "A Second-Generation Synthesis of the Cyanthiwigin Natural Product Core" in Org. Lett. Find it on our publications page.
• Jiaming's first primary author publication of grad school: "Palladium-Catalyzed Aerobic Intramolecular Aminoacetoxylation of Alkenes Enabled by Catalytic Nitrate" lands in Org. Lett. Find it on our publications page.
• Congratulations to Kelly and Jiaming: "Catalytic Anti-Markovnikov Transformations of Hindered Terminal Alkenes Enabled by Aldehyde-Selective Wacker-Type Oxidation" in J. Am. Chem. Soc. Find it on our publications page.
• Beau, with help from Jun and Yoshi, enters his fifth year on a high note: "Enantioselective Pd-Catalyzed Allylic Alkylation Reactions of Dihydropyrido[1,2-a]indolone Substrates: Efficient Syntheses of (−)-Goniomitine, (+)-Aspidospermidine, and (−)-Quebrachamine" in Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Find it on our publications page.
• Mohr and Moore present a review, "Enantioconvergent catalysis," in Beilstein J. Org. Chem. Find it on our publications page.
• The group welcomes postdocs Dr. Kohei Hayashida from Nippon Chemiphar Co., Ltd. and Dr. Gerit Pototschnig from Prof. Marko Mihovilovic's group, as well as visiting researchers Emil Glibstrup from Prof. Christian Pedersen's group, Dr. Toshihiko Iwayama from Japan Tobacco Inc., and Marco Wollenburg from Prof. Frank Glorius's group.
• Check out our new Org Syn, "Potassium tert-Butoxide–Catalyzed Dehydrogenative Cross-Coupling of Heteroarenes with Hydrosilanes" in Org. Synth. Find it on our publications page.
• Dream duo Sam and Caleb have a review: "Iridium-Catalyzed Diastereo-, Enantio-, and Regioselective Allylic Alkylation with Prochiral Enolates" in ACS Catal. Find it on our publications page.
• Our work on Ineleganolide, "Enantioselective, Convergent Synthesis of the Ineleganolide Core by a Tandem Annulation Cascade," can be seen in Chem. Sci. Find it on our publications page.
• The group welcomes postdoc Dr. Denis Kroeger from Professor Jürgen Martens' group and visiting student Yanhui Lu from Professor Kazuaki Ishihara's group.
• Farewell to Professor Chad Eichman, who returns to Loyola University Chicago.
• Brian helps tackle the mystery of cerebral hypoglycemia in bacterial meningitis: "Escherichia coli K1 modulates peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma and glucose transporter-1 at the blood-brain barrier in neonatal meningitis" in J. Infect. Dis. Find it on our publications page.
• Check out our new Org Syn, "Preparation of 1,5-Dioxaspiro[5.5]undecan-3-one" in Org. Synth. Find it on our publications page.
• Good job graduate students Samantha Shockley and Alexander Sun for winning Ruth L. Kirchstein NIH NRSA Predoctoral Fellowships!
• In the spirit of quaternary center formation, we present, "Ni-Catalyzed Enantioselective C-Acylation of α-Substituted Lactams" in J. Am. Chem. Soc. Find it on our publications page.
• A hearty congratulations to Dr. Seojung Han on completing her PhD! Seojung will fly to NorCal for a postdoc with Prof. Dean Toste.
• Check out Austin and Christopher's new aryne paper, "Synthesis of Aryl Ketoamides via Aryne Insertion into Imides" in Org. Lett. Find it on our publications page.
• Take care Dr. Max Klatte! Our resident European postdoc returns to Germany.
• Seojung and Ryohei teach us an innovative Nickel-catalyzed synthesis of more privileged heterocycles: "Nickel-Catalyzed Intramolecular C−O Bond Formation: Synthesis of Cyclic Enol Ethers" in Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Find it on our publications page.
• A long goodbye to Dr. Kazato Inanaga, who returns to Astellas Pharma in Japan.
• Take care Yutaro! He returns to Kenichiro Itami's group in Japan to finish his PhD.
• Seojung teaches us how to make privileged lactams: "A mild and efficient approach to enantioenriched α-hydroxyethyl α,β-unsaturated δ-lactams" in Tetrahedron Lett. Find it on our publications page.
• A long-awaited paper has been resurrected: "Enantioselective Synthesis of Caprolactam and Enone Precursors to the Heterocyclic DEFG Ring System of Zoanthenol" in Eur. J. Org. Chem. Find it on our publications page.
• Congrats to Noriko, Boger, and Eric (G1) on their newly accepted paper: "Enantioselective γ-Alkylation of α,β-Unsaturated Malonates and Ketoesters by a Sequential Ir-Catalyzed Asymmetric Allylic Alkylation/Cope Rearrangement" in J. Am. Chem. Soc. Find it on our publications page.
• Benzi, our very own undergrad, publishes a first author total synthesis: "Catalytic enantioselective total synthesis of (+)-eucomic acid" in Tetrahedron. Find it on our publications page.
•A bittersweet farewell to postdoc Dr. Boger Liu, who is beginning as a Professor at Wuhan University, a top-ten university in China. We thank him for his great contributions to the Stoltz Lab, and wish his research group great success! Pictures of his farewell event can be viewed here.
• With a timely review, Nick is on a publication roll this month: "Synthetic Applications and Methodological Developments of Donor-Acceptor Cyclopropanes and Related Compounds" in Isr. J. Chem. Find it on our publications page.
• Want to oxidize diazo compounds? The dynamic duo, Nick O'Connor and Peter Bolgar (Cambridge University visiting researcher) have a new paper: "Development of a simple system for the oxidation of electron-rich diazo compounds to ketones," in Tetrahedron Lett. Find it on our publications page.
• Best wishes to Dr. Masaki Hayashi, who returns to his position as Senior researcher at Daiichi-Sankyo Company. Cheers to his productive year here in the Stoltz Lab! Pictures of his farewell event can be viewed here.
• The group welcomes postdocs Dr. Marchello Cavitt from Stefan France's group and Dr. Caleb Hethcox from Stephen Martin's group.
• Yutaro Saito from Kenichiro Itami's group joins the lab as a visiting scholar. Welcome!
• Twisted amides, what a way to start the new year! Congratulations Marc: "Total Synthesis and Characterization of 7-Hypoquinuclidonium Tetrafluoroborate and 7-Hypoquinuclidone BF3 Complex," is ASAP in J. Am. Chem. Soc. Find it on our publications page.